First, let’s just get this big ol’ turd out of the way. The goals I set for myself last year didn’t happen. I tried, mostly, but I can very honestly say that I didn’t put forth the effort I knew would be necessary. That’s 100% on me.
None of this makes me any less of a person and it doesn’t even make me feel bad about myself. I tried, that’s what was important. So, moving on.
Here are some things that I think went really well this last year:
- I successfully completed a semester of grad school. I doubt I’ll go back to finish the program but that’s because of the price tag, not because I don’t think I can mentally handle it. Very important difference.
- I have become much more aware of my spending habits and what I could be doing different with my money. I feel confident that this year WILL be better.
- Lancelot and I grew as a couple and things feel stronger than ever between us.
- I’ve learned a lot about who I really am as a person, and I like that person.
Over the winter break I’ve gotten a ton of stuff done, and that makes me feel good, too. Mom and I tore the house apart, donated a bunch of stuff we no longer use, reorganized all of the holiday stuff, and I even did a full inventory of my yarn stash. Yes, the entire stash. It’s a beautifully organized spreadsheet that nearly brings a tear to my eye.
Here are some of my favorite projects from this year:
I finished a scarf this morning that was supposed to be my last project of last year but then I had a glass of wine with dinner and my old butt was in bed by 8pm. And even though it’s a pretty little scarf it kind of looks like unicorn vomit at the moment.
I am still working on the shell shawl (did I ever show y’all that?) but it’s in time out on account of the one needle trying to take out one of my fingers in a very unfortunate laundry incident. I also realized that I don’t have nearly enough yarn to finish it the way I want to so that’s kind of pissing me off. I’ve also started another shawl (quelle surprise!) that’s two different purples (also a big shocker) and will have some super shiny beads. Stay tuned.
So, what does 2020 have in store for me? I’m ever so glad you asked…
- Keep working on getting my credit cards and other debts paid off. The plan is to have everything except my big card, the CR-V, and the student loans all gone by the end of the year.
- I’m on the hunt for educational opportunities that are more like certificates (I’ve done a few already for work) that I can get my boss to pay for. I like school, I don’t like the price tag.
- I’d like to take ONE big trip this year, just one. There are a few possibilities being tossed around.
- I’m planning to use every last bit of craft stuff I have on hand before buying anything new. (hence the yarn inventory)
- I will turn 44, not that this is really terribly significant, but hey, why not include it?
- And, last but certainly not least, I really want to make some healthier habits. This would include eating, exercising, and mental health stuff.
I’ll leave you with this image. It’s speaking to me today, maybe it will speak to you, too.